Friday, April 19, 2013

We Real Cool

Poems are a lot different than every other type of literature.  You have a lot more freedom. You don't have to write complete sentences, paragraphs, and it does not even have to make sense!  Its a way to express your feelings and emotions in however way you wish.  The poem "We Real Cool" by Gwendolyn Brooks is a good example of this.  There is only 24 words in the whole poem.  To me it's really hard to understand this poem.  What's the theme? What's the purpose? I think it's about a group of boys who skipped school and just do juvenile things.  However, I can't figure out why the last line says, "we die soon." I feel like it just does not fit in the content of this poem.  But see that's the crazy thing about poems.  It does not have to make sense to other people.  I really like poetry for that reason.  You can tell stories and rhyme and just have fun with your work.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the concept of poetry not even making sense, but like you said that's what makes us like them. They're so unique compared to other readings that makes you enjoy them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you! I liked this poem also, even though it was random and all over the place!I think they were just boys being teenagers and acting rebellious because they wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! I also like poetry because it lets you have more freedom in your writing.

    ReplyDelete